November 26, 2008

Turning 30 in NYC...

Dear Portland,



I'm a female and my 30th birthday is approaching and I wanted to do something different in New York City with my boyfriend and friends. Any ideas??

Turning 30 in NYC...


Dear Almost 30,

Wow, congratulations on turning 30!

I suggest you do something that I call the..."Around Manhattan." Which means, you and your guests go to a different place for everything, including drinks. If your friends live in NY they'll be pleasantly surprised-- and if you have out-of-town guests...they'll be talking about the evening for years to come.

What you'll need:

1. Dress- Comfortable but fashionable....my experience is, you get treated better in the city if you look good. No sequins...just chic and classy.

2. At least $125.00-$150.00 each--I didn't say it would be cheap.

3. A need to have a good time and see the city.

4. Take a cab everywhere as most places are not within walking distance.


Stop 1-Drinks.
Try a new "in" restaurant for drinks. Pick a place that is either impossible to get a reservation or out of budget-- but fabulous. I suggest--"Nobu" downtown or "The Four Seasons" on 57th...and I really liked the cocktails and atmosphere at the "Blue Room" in the "W Hotel" in Times Square.

Stop 2-Dinner.
Choose a New York classic or something famous that has been featured in a movie. A place your guests can relate too--and have bragging rights to later. My suggestion--"One If By Land, Two If By Sea, in Midtown or " Peter Lugers" in Brooklyn or you can go somewhere more inexpensive but still good eats like "Mangia Bevi" on 9th or "Carmines" a popular theater restaurant in Time Square.

Stop 3-Dessert.
You really want to make it a famous spot...after all, it is DESSERT! Try Serendipity, famous for their "frozen hot chocolate" 60 different chocolates...frankly, it's liquid sex. You can't drink one alone, sharing's good here. Located on the upper east side. And one of my all time NYC favorites in Washington Square is "The Coffee Shop." I know, dry name and so is the outside moniker, but they are big on desserts. Plus don't be surprised if your sitting next to a famous actor or singer. There's usually at least two posting at the bar or in a booth on any given night.

Stop 4- Nightclub.
We had a great time at the "Apt" (Apartment) in the Meat Packing District. Great music and the place is set up like some one's apartment with a full bar and music.

Stop 5- Breakfast/Brunch. (After the club or the next day)
I highly suggest "Balthazar" on Spring St. Fabulous food and wine and a "must dine" for anyone living or visiting the city. This can get crowded--so call in advance.

I hope these suggestions help make the "Big 3-0" very memorable. Have a great birthday, be safe and send me a note of how the night turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments that are congratulatory, thought provoking and/or constructive criticism. Any derogatory comments of any nature will not be posted. Thank you for reading Ask Portland and taking the time to write a comment.

Have a question that you would like answered? Please send all questions to me at askportland@gmail.com. If your question is answered, it will be published on this blog anonymously. —Love, Portland