November 26, 2008

Cleansing Sensitive Areas?

Dear Portland,

I shouldn't use soap on the inside of my vagina when I clean it. It is kind of an allergy maybe. My doctor told me this when I was very young. It just makes me a little itchy. I stopped using it and I am fine, but here is the deal...It doesn't get as sweet smelling as I would like it to. You know like if you wash your under arm with just water, it will smell natural, but not as fresh and sweet as if you were to use soap, and of course all the more sweet if you were to add deodorant.

So what I would like to know is what should I clean with, besides water and vinegar (cause I know about that one) that will make it smell sweet. Or perhaps, there is an oil I can use after I clean it with water? I used Summer's Eve but I am a little sensitive to that too. Thank you.

Sensitive

Dear Sensitive,

And I thought I was obsessed with being clean!

I've heard Summer's Eve is one of the worst things you can use in that area. Vinegar and water (douche) not only removes the harmful bacteria but the good bacteria as well. Removing the good bacteria can cause all kinds of problems- of the itchy kind. As for the oil--I wouldn't even go there.

The vagina is supposed to have a certain smell but not a strong odor. There's an acidic level "down there" that should not be messed with. Most gynecologist say soap in that area a "no-no" and women should clean the outside of the vaginal area with a hypo-allergenic soap (Dove Sensitive Skin is great). Most suggest replacing your current shower head with a hand-held model, do not use a washcloth as that can cause irritation too; instead, put some soap on your hand to wash the area and use the hand-held shower head to rinse.

If you continue to have persistent problems--see a doctor.

"Poo-poo" Love, Portland

2 comments:

Please post comments that are congratulatory, thought provoking and/or constructive criticism. Any derogatory comments of any nature will not be posted. Thank you for reading Ask Portland and taking the time to write a comment.

Have a question that you would like answered? Please send all questions to me at askportland@gmail.com. If your question is answered, it will be published on this blog anonymously. —Love, Portland