June 04, 2015

I Miss Being Strong!


Dear Portland,
I miss being strong! When I was younger, I used to have unshakeable faith in myself. No matter how hard things got, or whatever befell me, I always kept trying. I'm still trying, but I lost so much faith my ability to succeed. And I'm worried I'm becoming a jaded cynic. How, besides actually really succeeding at something, can I regain my confidence and faith in myself?

My strong is gone


Dear My Strong Is Gone,
Wow what an honest question!
I applaud you for seeing and admitting that things have changed in your life from positive to somewhat cynical--and you want your old self back. It seems to me that something has shaken your once high self esteem.  You don't mention what that specific thing was or whether it was a series of things in your question but that is what I must assume.  Age, rejection both personal and professional can play a role in moving from a place of yes to uncertainty.  But rest assure you are not the only one.  Many people suffer from this- its called growing up. And yes, sometime it can suck but keeping a positive attitude and not taking life too seriously is something you can consider working on. The fact that you are self-aware puts you heads and tails above the rest. Many people cannot understand their own feelings much less articulate them the way you did. I applaud you for that!
Although you're older now and likely have more responsibilities, try to remember where you were and what you were doing when you had this unshakeable faith in yourself- and try to somewhat mimic that time. For example, in college, maybe you ran track or played on the tennis team and now you've stopped participating in those activities you enjoyed because family and work responsibilities have taken up more of your time?  Or maybe you've abandoned your passion... for singing or dancing? Perhaps take a class at your local community college or volunteer-all communities seem to be in need of people who are willing to donate their time. Choose wisely then start slowly by picking at least one thing that you enjoy and I'm confident that you'll soon be looking at the old new and improved you in no time.

Unshakably Strong Love,
Portland

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments that are congratulatory, thought provoking and/or constructive criticism. Any derogatory comments of any nature will not be posted. Thank you for reading Ask Portland and taking the time to write a comment.

Have a question that you would like answered? Please send all questions to me at askportland@gmail.com. If your question is answered, it will be published on this blog anonymously. —Love, Portland